Print Posted By Lost in France on 5 Aug 2011 in French Regions - Haute-Normandie

The Abbey of Jumiège

Now a beautiful ruin the Abbey of Jumièges was originally a Benedictine monastery which was founded in 654 by Saint Philibert.

Abbey of Jumièges © ATOUT FRANCE - Daniel Philippe

Several centuries later it was pillaged and burnt to the ground by Viking invaders before being rebuilt on a larger scale in 942, later it was consecrated by William the Conqueror in 1067. During the following centuries it was enlarged and restored until the French revolution when it was sold off as Biens nationaux or "national property".

Nowadays this romantic ruin is open to the public and is an ideal place to while away an afternoon exploring the abbey and it's grounds.

Abbey of Jumièges © ATOUT FRANCE - Martine Prunevieille

Where

The Abbey of Jumièges is situated on the north bank of the river Seine in the commune of Jumièges in the Seine-Maritime department.


More Info

The Abbey of Jumièges is open daily throughout the year.

Admission charges 3.50 - 5


Local Tourist Office

Rue Guillaume le Conquérant

76480 Jumièges

Tel: 0033 (0)2 35 37 28 97

 

What do you think?

Join Our Newsletter - Today