Print Posted By Lost in France on 19 Oct 2007 in Living in France - Insurance in France

Facts About School Insurance

Any educational establishment, school or university will ask for an attestation proving that the student is covered for liability insurance.

What does it cover?

The financial consequences of bodily injury, material or immaterial damage caused to third parties, for which you are legally liable in your capacity as a private individual, i.e. outside the context of your business or professional life.

In particular: the school-related or extracurricular activities of your children.

In the course of the following cases: in case of damage done to property entrusted by the school where your child is enrolled, or in connexion with vocational training offered by the school where your child is enrolled.

Territorial scope of coverage: in France and Monaco. Worldwide in the event of a trip or short-term stay of less than three months (your children studying abroad are covered throughout the length of their educational stay).

{loadposition contentad}Now be careful, every insurance company has its own rules and small prints (see our article "Chasing the best insurance premium" published in March 2006.) Some companies include this cover in the house insurance policy, as they consider this is part of the global liability cover ; others won't, and you'll have to ask for it as an option. The text above refers to the cover offered by Generali Assurances with the house insurance policy.

In France, schools usually recommend school insurance with M.A.E.. You can then choose between various levels of cover : either civil liability only, or other extra options such as broken glasses, funeral costs, dental costs.

But please keep in mind that the only compulsory cover required is the civil liability cover, and before you take out any school insurance cover, make sure you don't have this already with your house policy.

If you wish a higher level of cover, I am sure that your insurer will be able to help you out for a better price than a separate policy.

Conclusion: most of you who have a house policy do already have the compulsory school liability cover, just call your insurer and ask him for an attestation. Or contact us using the links below.

About the Author

Philippe Schreinemachers is the owner of Philippe Schreinemachers SARL who specialise in providing a range of French insurance policies in English. For more information please visit their website at or contact them using the links below.
Tel: +33 (0)5 62 09 79
[email protected]

© Philippe Schreinemachers

What do you think?

Join Our Newsletter - Today