Print Posted By Lost in France on 22 Sep 2005 in Living in France - Business and employment in France

Recognition of qualifications

Professional Recognition

This is the procedure by which the possibility of exercising a profession in a country other than one's own is recognised in the European Economic Area.

There are two possible scenarios:

Non-regulated professions:
In this case, access to and the exercising of the profession are not regulated. Everything then depends on the candidate's professional and personal qualities and on the assessment of them by the employer.
Certificates of studies issued by the Ministry of Education via the education offices (when you become resident in France) may perhaps be used to provide information to the employer, but they have no legal value.

Regulated professions:
1/ Covered by a sectoral directive (doctors, nurses, dentists, midwives, veterinary surgeons, pharmacists and architects). People with diplomas from their own countries can freely exercise their profession in another Member State (Directive 2001/19/EC).
2/ Not covered by a sectoral directive
Access to and exercising a profession are regulated and require precise training and qualification requirements in the country in which you wish to work. This is very often the case with professions in the health sector, law, architecture, transport, etc.
In this case, the diploma must be recognised by an official body.
To obtain this, you must contact the relevant department of the Ministry concerned, or else the governing body of the profession in question (e.g.:

For further information, contact the Chamber of Commerce nearest to your place of residence in France.

Academic Recognition

This is the procedure by which the educational establishment (school or university) of the country in which you wish to take all or part of your studies assesses your diploma.
Recognition is never automatic. It is also a decision that is taken freely, on an individual basis, by the host establishment.

{loadposition contentad}A written request must be sent to the addresses given below, accompanied by certified authentic photocopies of the original diploma and of the translation (carried out by a sworn translator). A list of sworn translators is available from foreign embassies in Paris, prefectures and town halls). A description of the curriculum of the training course must also be attached.

General secondary school diplomas:
You must approach the secondary school you wish to attend directly. However, it is possible to obtain information, points of comparison and a certificate of attendance of foreign schools by contacting the education office in the region in question (addresses available from EURES advisers, in C.I.D.J record sheets (available from all A.N.P.E offices) or from the Ministry of Education.

Vocational school diplomas (secondary level):
Requests for information to continue vocational education in France must be sent to:
Ministry of Education - Schools Directorate
110 rue de Grenelle
75007 PARIS.
Higher education diplomas (access with a foreign secondary school-leaving certificate):
You should directly contact the higher education establishment which you wish to attend. However it is possible to obtain general information from the
Ministry of Education
International Relations Section - NARIC France
4, rue Danton
75006 Paris.

There are two possible scenarios when it comes to access to higher education:

1) Students starting higher education To start higher education in France, in other words to register for a bachelor's degree course in a university, foreigners holding foreign school-leaving certificates must apply to register beforehand (at the university).

2) Students who have started higher education abroad and wish to continue in France.
To continue higher education in France that you have started in your country, you can ask for a dispensation from the university in which you wish to study, producing the degree(s) you already hold. Your degree must be translated by a sworn translator and a description of the subjects studied must be attached.

The education office can also provide information regarding the level of your degree based on the translation and description of subjects studied.

Lastly, for studies specifically relating to regulated professions, information can be obtained directly from the ministries concerned (medical studies, veterinary studies, odontology, pharmacy, paramedical courses, ambulance training, accounting, agricultural science, agri-foodstuffs, etc.).

No original copy should be sent to the above-mentioned addresses.

Source: European Union
© European Communities, 1995-2006


What do you think?

Join Our Newsletter - Today