Lost-in-France.com

Para-pharmacy trade restrictions
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Para-pharmacy trade restrictions

Para-pharmacy trade restrictions 2 years, 10 months ago #1

As many of you will be aware, if you try and buy anything at all which the French class as pharmacy or parapharmacy from an online seller, you will likely be told that the seller does not ship to France.

If you go the Ebay UK you will see a red popup banner saying that you are blocked due to a Paris commercial court decision that bans trade of certain authentic perfumes and cosmetic products on eBay because of selective distribution laws.

(Since when have Vicks and Chapstick been 'authentic perfume and cosmetic products' then?)

This means that stuff you might want to buy such as Manuka honey or Olbas oil, is at least double the price it costs in the UK, and often much more. So much for the Common Market, eh?

I have seen a couple of adverts for people offering to act as mailbox if you want to buy stuff from Boots. Does anyone know if these sites are kosher?

I suppose one answer for eBay might be to pay for a proxy internet address, but I probably wouldn't use it often enough.

Re: Para-pharmacy trade restrictions 2 years, 10 months ago #2

Hi the sellers will sell, however, you are being blocked by your dear old ISP, probably france telecom.
Get set up on OpenDNS and then you will not get blocked AND vicks etc can and are sold over here but only certain of their products. www.opendns.com/technology/
All you need to do is put the info either in your modem or if silly enough to use an ISP modem, then your computer.

Just for info, Vick sinex in an 8 pack, 20.96 and 4.95 postage to here in France
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vicks-Sinex-Nasal-Spr...;hash=item1e69eac099
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by rogerinfrance. Reason: more info

Re: Para-pharmacy trade restrictions 2 years, 10 months ago #3

Possibly not. In the case of eBay it seems to be where you have set your default postal address, or something similar.

A friend who is also in France and currently using the same internet connection as me on our home network but where eBay thinks his account address is in the UK can get as far as the Bid/Buy it Now option but he is not able to select to ship the items to anywhere other than the UK. Similarly Boots UK gives you several European shipping destinations but France is not one of them.

I am pretty sure that OpenDNS would not fix this, but if you know different please explain how you do it.

Re: Para-pharmacy trade restrictions 2 years, 10 months ago #4

Well I can assure you I live in France, have a FT connection, and gave the FT engineers a lesson in internet connectivity only a couple of days ago, my french email is This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it and that tells you I am a very long time connection client.
I only use that email for rubbish as there are so many problems with the french ISP's
So, anyway, how do you think I got the info so quickly!

Re: Para-pharmacy trade restrictions 2 years, 10 months ago #5

I don't understand what you are saying.

I am sure that you have been a client of FT for many years and I am also sure that they are generally-speaking incompetent. We have been clients of Orange for 3 years. They are "son of" FT and they are dreadful also - probably worse, in fact.

But how does this help with being able (or not) to buy para-pharmacy goods from outside of France?

Re: Para-pharmacy trade restrictions 2 years, 10 months ago #6

OK the ISP monitors your items and when certain things "happen" then you get picked up and the relavent block is applied.
Nobody can stop you buying quel-que-chose anywhere in the EU. However they CAN make it akward, for example I bet a bent nickle that your machine takes you to Yahoo France and also tries to stop you going there.
You get always yahoo france its easy they just divert you.
Dis you try the page I sent, and what happened, now your yahoo, try to get to yahoo UK and what do you get, now put in uk.yahoo.com/ and you SHOULD get UK and Ireland.
This is because certain things are tagged and consequently blocked.
You tell me what you want, I will send you the page and then just fill it in.

Did you get my private message, see up top on right hand side and my email is there.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vicks-Inhaler-Buy-4-G...;hash=item3cc090bdba
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by rogerinfrance. Reason: added info
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.12 seconds

Featured Listings

Beautiful Holiday Accommodation in Saint Antonin Noble Val Beautiful Holiday Accommodation in Saint Antonin Noble Val

Saint Antonin Noble Val Owners Club the independent family run business for all your holiday home needs based in the town itself.

Les Trois Cheminees. B&B, Livarot. Les Trois Cheminees. B&B, Livarot.

Luxury B&B in the centre of livarot, all rooms are en suite with free WiFi, set in one of the first house's built in the village, around 1602.

France Network

Sign in with Facebook
You are here: Forum